UNITED STATES / CANADA – Following the initial release of the HD version back in June, Orbx has now released TrueEarth US Washington SD for X-Plane 11. Similar to the existing HD package, the scenery features approximately 91,875 square mile of coverage including most of Washington State as well as parts of Oregon and British Columbia (Canada). Moreover, the scenery features over 1100 iconic landmarks and numerous cityscapes including Seattle/Bellevue, Everett, Victoria, Spokane, Tacoma, Olympia, and Yakima.
The differences between the SD and HD version are described by Ed Correia as follows.
Please note, this is the standard definition (SD) version of TrueEarth US Washington which uses 2.4m/pixel (ZL16) sharpened orthoimagery and uses a much smaller 58GB of disk space versus the 207GB of the HD version. No decompression is used by Orbx Central. This version is better suited to customers with video cards less than 8GB. This allows the texture slider to be set to ‘Max’ resulting in imagery almost the same quality as the HD version, but using 1/4 of the disk space. If you decide to upgrade to the HD version at a later time, you can do so for a nominal fee.
Check out some release images below.
Next, see a list of key product features and benefits of the SD version.
- 91,875 square miles (237,956 km²) of hand-corrected, crisp, color-matched aerial imagery
- PBR autogen technology developed for X-Plane 11, allowing thousands of realistic looking PNW-themed houses and buildings to be placed at a realistic height with minimal impact on performance
- 1,174 custom-modeled 3D POIs!
- Over 500 million trees placed correctly based on detailed land use and high-resolution height data
- 4.5 million buildings at their correct height and location where data is available
- Major Cityscapes for Seattle, Bellevue, Victoria, Tacoma and significant buildings added to Everett, Olympia, Spokane, Kennewick and Yakima
- VFR landmarks such as masts, wind farms, churches, power-lines, and lighthouses are all accurately placed.
- Hand-placed and custom modelled 3D landmarks throughout the scenery such as bridges, skyscrapers, stadiums, cranes, tanks, piers farms, and monuments – this is especially noticeable in city areas
- Sharp and detailed Ultra-HD 10-meter mesh brings out stunning detail in natural features such as mountains, coastlines and valleys
- Superb watermasking along the entire coastline and most rivers and lakes
- Accurate road and rail network blended into the aerial imagery with moving traffic
- Beautiful color-balanced summer imagery with exquisite night-lighting
Main benefits of the SD Version:
- Much quicker download and install – no JPG conversion
- Much shorter loading times
- Much less GPU memory useage
- Upgrade to HD version whenever you want
- Same experience as HD Version > 2000FT
- Completely stutter free under load
- 25% of the disk space
- AU$10 cheaper
- Better FPS
To review the complete release announcement, see the source post via Orbx. Alternatively, for more information, additional screenshots, or to purchase, visit the product sales page via OrbxDirect. As of the time of this writing, the scenery is priced at $59.95 AUD.